Saturday, January 31, 2015

Sugar Cookie Cake

I eyed this recipe on Pinterest quite some time ago and decided when we had both families over for dinner last weekend would be the perfect time to make it!  This was my first homemade cake, of sorts, and first homemade icing.  I will never ever use canned icing again, the icing was fantastic! As was the cake!
Cake Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened 
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 and 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
2/3 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles

Frosting Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened 
1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons half and half (or heavy cream)
1 teaspoon almond extract
salt, to taste
Directions:
Cream the softened butter in a large mixing bowl with either a hand or stand mixer

Add the sugar and mix until fluffy then beat in (I used a spatula for this part) the egg, egg yolk and vanilla.

In a smaller bowl (below) whisk all the dry ingredients.  The flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cornstarch.
Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients in 2-3 parts and mix on low speed.

Once the dough is evenly mixed, blend in the white chocolate chips and sprinkles with a spatula.

Pam your pie dish (throw away works easy) and press the cookie dough into the pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes 
I stuck a toothpick in at about 28-29 minutes and it was good to go, I like cookies softer so I wish I had pulled it out a tiny bit earlier but mine was still soft just not extra gooy.

The cake will sink in in the middle, that's normal!

Let the cake cook and then frost it however you want.  I used one of my winton tools and did a simple design but next time I might consider doing a checkered look or something to use more of the frosting! I had quite a bit left and it is d e l i c i o u s.
To lick the bowl or to not lick the bowl?!
My favorite parts?!
The white chocolate chips give an extra unique touch.  I loved this!  
I'm not a big fan of "regular sprinkles" so I picked another type which worked just as well
A little extra icing never hurt anyone.  My niece suggested the middle circle and I think it was a fantastic idea! The frosting is beyond delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment