Monday, October 16, 2017

Pregnancy: 39 Weeks & The Final Update

I can't believe this pregnancy has come to an end and the real excitement is just beginning.  In some ways it feels like I've literally been pregnant for a year (our first positive was a year ago) but the time really has flown since the beginning of February when we found out.  I am so thrilled and blessed to say I genuinely liked being pregnant but for now I am looking forward to getting back to normal workouts, normal clothes, cocktails... and loving on our sweet new baby boy!

38 weeks - date night ready!

39 Weeks: 
39 Weeks & an 80 degree October day

I've been pregnant since the very end of January - Right at 39 weeks it hit me that so soon I can have a glass of wine, a hoagie, tuna, etc.  And I cannot wait - having my baby and getting to enjoy those things - just like having your cake and eating it too. 

I ordered a few tops from the Loft sale recently for post pregnancy and I forgot how much fun regular clothes are - I'm so excited! Edit: When the bag of tops came in I was even more excited and have a little pile waiting in the closet.  Also excited for shoes that fit again - so sick of flip flops. 

We've had friends checking in daily this week - one morning all the texts seemed to come through at once and it just set me up for the best day! Finally fall hit in that same day and it was amazing - I wasn't a sweaty mess, my wedding bands fit and I could finally wear one of the fall maternity tops I thought I needed after the cold start in September.  I upped my now weekly pedicure from a regular to a spa pedicure this week and it was the best hour.  Another 80 degree day is predicted this weekend then I think we're hopefully in the clear for fall.

 I find myself fully nesting and tidying up the house every day, running the dishwasher way more than I usually do and doing extra loads of laundry so we come home to every thing neat - plus our house cleaner will be one of our first calls :)  I'm a mix between "doing all the things, all the time" and enjoying couch time - staying busy and "doing" is more me though.  We also took our Stella girl for a haircut so she's all pretty and fluffy for family photos later this month. 

At my appointment right at the start of 39 weeks I was 2 centimeters dilated and 80% effaced - she said the baby could be here any day so we've been on baby watch all week.  If not, on Monday at my last appointment we'll make a plan.

Symptoms all pretty much the same - a few contractions and cramps and such - up anywhere between 3-5 times a night for the bathroom - tired - sore feet - wedding rings mostly off - pelvic pain and pressure which makes me move pretty slow.  I'm still getting around pretty well though and living normal days - we do walks, go out to eat, etc.

The Final Update:

Best Moment: Definitely finding out the gender! The positive pregnancy test was exciting but we'd been there before so it wasn't maybe as exciting as could be.  The gender we were lucky enough to find out by 12 weeks and I'll never forget knowing that the results were in.  We weren't living in the new house yet and opened the envelope together over here, told my mom just a day later, a couple family members and friends and then had the big reveal about a month later.

Least Favorite Moment: The glucose test - I worried myself sick for really no reason.  I was so nervous to take this test, I don't know why! (I get nervous about the dumbest things).  Little things like the overnight bathroom breaks, pelvic pain and other soreness - but nothing major to complain about.

Best/Worst Part of Each Trimester:
1st - best: that having a baby was becoming a reality, the positive test, the gender / worst: sleep
2nd - best: energy being back, living normal life/summer / worst - some stress and negativity that was brought in
3rd - best: the excitement, being in the moment of getting everything left finished / worst: running out of clothes, being sore, waking up multiple times a night.

Name: We knew the name since almost the start of the second trimester.  Once we knew the gender I was determined to figure out what he would be called - we agreed on the first name really quickly as well as the middle initial.  About 25 weeks or so we settled on a middle name and were good to go. We only shared the name with a small amount of family/friends and the initials with a few too so did a surprisingly good job at keeping quiet.

The Pregnancy Usuals - Swelling, Rings On/Off, Belly Button In/Out: I lucked out on most of these - I didn't have a day of swelling until my third trimester and it wasn't consistent.  A couple times a week by the end of the day my feet would swell - but not always.  If I didn't drink enough water that was usually the cause.  There were a few hot days towards the end where I just didn't put my wedding rings on but other than that I was able to wear them the whole time.  My belly button pretty much remained in until the end (I was so glad!) - some days it would look a little flat and weird but...

Cravings/Aversions: From about 5 weeks pregnant until 38 weeks I couldn't stand the thought of a steak - I think because we went to one of our favorite steakhouses shortly after I found out I was pregnant when I just wasn't hungry at all and I over ate - glad it went away right at the end.  

In the beginning I wasn't sick but couldn't tolerate anything other than simple meals.  My main cravings were donuts and cheese burgers.  I'd hear something and want it asap though.  A couple other weird cravings once or twice - miso soup, guacamole, chocolate chip cookies.

Missed the Most: Happy Hour! After a few weeks it was routine but I definitely missed my wine and cocktails.  I missed my clothes, regular sleep and normal things like that too.

Symptoms/Sleep/Feelings/Exercises: For the most part I felt pretty good and embraced/loved being pregnant.  The first trimester I was just exhausted, didn't really do much and wasn't interested in much food - other than if I didn't eat in the morning, I certainly felt sick quick.  

The second trimester I almost forgot I was pregnant - other than when we spent about a month packing to move - I just got into a slump.

Pelvic pain and back pain were hit or miss sometimes during the pregnancy - definitely noticeable at the end.

The third trimester I'd heard you loose your energy but I didn't really loose mine until about 37 weeks and I was so thankful! The last few weeks my feet ached if on them too long and also swelled.  On a few occasions my hands swelled too. 

Other than a little trouble in the beginning, I slept pretty well until that final month or so with all the bathroom breaks and trying to roll over in my sleep took lots of effort.  After enough time on my feet I just wanted to sit, Some come/go pelvic pain and a little bit of swelling at the end.

Being 8/9 months pregnant in the heat is no joke - we had a few fall heat waves and I hid out inside.  I walked Stella just about once a day for most of the pregnancy until the final weeks - the weather was hot, I was tired and just slacked.  The last week or so I made sure to get back into it because I heard it made things easier.

Weight Gain: 35 pounds... I was aiming for around 30 but 35 in 40 weeks, I'll take it.  Pretty standard by what you were suppose to gain each week.  I barely gained any in the first trimester because I wasn't really hungry.  It was the pretty standard pound or so per week in the second trimester.  In the third trimester I definitely gained it quicker and the final weeks it leveled out or I lost a few.

Medicine: Only a handful of times I needed to take something of the approved list from my doctor.  Tylenol or Tylenol PM rarely right in the beginning and then with just a few weeks left was when I really needed it with a cold - some approved cough syrup and Tylenol Cold/Flu... I didn't take for long (and was left with a lingering cough...)

Favorite Mocktails: I was big into the Fre Wines in the beginning but those quickly got too sweet and I got over it.  I loved the La Croix drinks which I'd never had before and also making myself some peach lemonades. I think an ice cold coke was my favorite treat but also on vacations I loved virgin strawberry margaritas.

General Thoughts: I was more calm than I thought, didn't worry as much as I thought and we were all around just go with the flow.  I was blessed with an easy pregnancy and I can only hope the same for our future babies - until literally the last week or so (not long!) when I was just sore and over it, I genuinely liked being pregnant.  The bump didn't appear as quick as I thought - I had a few maternity dresses I had to grow into - and while the heat at the end of the pregnancy was so annoying (I felt like a sweaty mess every day!), being able to wear dresses most of the time was the best.

Famous Preggos: I loved following along with LC and Whitney from The Hills, Heidi was due like a day after me but he came fairy early.  Mine/Derek's favorite from Southern Charm, Cameran, I think is due about two weeks after me and I've loved her honesty and especially when she just told people off about breast feeding..  I've also been keeping up with Jade from the Bachelor - so many reality stars, ha! And now right at the end, half of the Kardashians.

Pregnancy Item Favorites: Most of my pregnancy favorites weren't even pregnancy items.  A little pillow from our guest room was my favorite to sleep with.  Also a Lumbar pillow, Ice packs for feet, back and pelvis, bath sheets - much better than a little bath towel when you have a growing belly!, Gap night gowns - so comfortable and my regular size fit the whole time.

Pregnancy Item Least Favorites: I never touched the stretch cream I got nor did I get the full body pillow that everyone raves about - I flip around too much in my sleep so I just thought it wouldn't work.

Tips: Do what works for you - don't compare yourself to others, everyone is different! Don't let other people's opinions or pressures get to you - Am I going to breast feed, pump, formula? I don't know - if it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't - whatever makes Derek, the baby and I happiest and healthiest and fed! Everyone has an opinion.  Know when to say no - people understand! Remove any stress from your life.

Don't over buy pregnancy clothes, especially too early.  Buy baby clothes early on - I did this right when we found out it was a boy and before things got busy and rushed and it was such fun.  Of course closer to the end I stocked up too on anything we needed more of but it's never too early to get a few things.  I did wait until a month before for any newborn things once I knew he was a "normal" size.

Know your limits and when to take a break on the couch, lay propped up, indulge in massages/pedicures whenever you can - at the end I was going once a week I think!  Walking really can help you feel better and making sure you get enough water is huge - I could always tell a difference if I didn't have enough.  Enjoy as many date nights as you can!

Things I will never say to a pregnant girl: 
  • First baby's are usually late (you have no idea when the baby will come and a first time mom that just wants the baby to come, does not want to hear that!)
  • Anything forceful on breastfeeding
  • Your dog will be neglected 
  • Just wait and see... 
  • Enjoy ____ now, because when the baby comes... 
Things I will say... you look great, and mean it - it can make a day!

Pregnancy Posts:


Babymoon in Bermuda: Part One & Part Two

15 comments:

  1. Love this! You are so lucky to have been able to remain active during your pregnancy and you look great!! I'm so glad it's finally cool weather for you, too! Can't wait to see pictures of your little guy and find out his name :) I know whatever y'all have chosen is the cutest!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for the update on social that he's here :) So glad that the time is almost here! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like it wasn't too long ago when you announced your pregnancy! I wish you and baby all the best. You're right in taking advice with a grain of salt. It's okay to listen to it and most people have good intentions. But parenting is different for all of us, and you'll do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same with Biana - I keep checking to see if he has made an appearance yet! Hope the last few days continue to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me tear up a bit....I journaled through all three of pregnancies and had all these same feels! You will LOVE being able to go back and read all of these updates! You look amazing girl, cannot wait until he comes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love everything about this post! This will be so fun for you to look back on later in the future. I’m so excited for you and keeping my fingers crossed for a safe and healthy delivery (hopefully soon!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this update! I can't believe it's almost time. I can't wait to find out his name!
    Kelsey
    www.kelseypeacock.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe that he's going to be here so soon! I know that y'all are so excited about it, and I can't wait to here what his name is going to be. Y'all really did a great job of keeping it a secret! I'm right there with you with wanting to have a nice cocktail or glass of wine again, and it'll be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So exciting, can't wait to hear the news of little man's arrival! And yay for the return of normal clothes and cocktails! Sending you guys all the hugs and prayers in your final days before he's here <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh can't believe this is the last update/check in!! Have so much fun becoming a family of 4 :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So soon now! I remember all of that nesting and it is so nice to come home from the hospital to a clean, organized, tidy home! Can't wait to hear of his name and "meet" him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. He will be here so soon and that is SO exciting! You look absolutely gorgeous! I love your list of things not to say to a pregnant woman because they are all awesome. That pile of clothes to wear after will feel so glorious, and so will shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look fabulous and I'm so happy to hear that you've enjoyed pregnancy. Not many woman can say that due to sickness or discomfort. You on the other hand are rocking it with style. Looking forward to hearing about baby boy's arrival. Praying for a safe and smooth delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe he's almost here! I'm going to be stalking your Insta feed for the next week until he's here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look so great! I can't wait for the "he's here!" announcement!

    ReplyDelete